Fake profiles

Tagged: 

• Fake profiles

Posted by Michael on February 16, 2022 at 2:19 pm

I’m fairly new to this site and have been surprised at the fake profiles. I’m a gay man with prostate cancer and I keep getting hit on by women in their 20s with Hollywood-perfect head shots who I suspect are bots. I had to laugh but it’s annoying.

For the rest of you, I’m on the shy side so don’t hesitate to HMU regardless of your cancer type(s) or gender.

Mike

Unknown Member replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Unknown Member

April 8, 2022 at 3:32 pm

Hi Michael,

Nice to meet you and so wish the scammers would go away. It’s like they don’t even put effort into it-for example with the women hitting on you and I think another member shared her male scammer said he had ovarian cancer lol.

Funny but so not.

I hope your health continues to get better.

Vi

• Michael

April 16, 2022 at 10:25 am

Hi Vi, thanks for your kind note. I’d like to not feel like i have to avoid this site because of scammers. I don’t understand why there so many on this site. (What do they want from us?)

Vi, I hope you are well and remain so! Best, Mike

• Unknown Member

October 14, 2022 at 9:37 am

Hi Michael (and Vi),

The scammers are here because there are few protections for any of us on this or any site. I’m here because, despite the digital disappointments over the past twenty years, I still have hope. The scammers might assume we’re desperate for a relationship or perhaps we’re close to death and they’ll take what we have. Money is always the motivator and I’ve been on this site for three days, and have found two. I thought one was a real person, but he noted in his profile that he had prostate cancer then told a story about his colorectal cancer. Then said his wife had died and he would be retiring soon and looking for that special someone to spend his retirement with and he asked how old I was even though the range is noted in my profile. That’s when I realized I’d been had. I would assume most people would use their real names, not a fake name. Here’s one of the scammers.

Profile: https://cancermatch.com/members/lerik/

The real guy: https://smartflyer.com/team/michael-holtz/

I’m not sure I would know how to spot a bot. I reached out to Susan who hosts this page but her last sign on was two years ago. I did just learn how to use the little camera in the Google to check a photo.

That’s it for now. On to the day!

• Unknown Member

April 16, 2022 at 11:07 am

Morning,

I think they believe we will be more vulnerable for attention and fall readily for their bs. And give them our money. But I do not know about you but most people I have met with cancer or in recovery have crazy medical expenses or loss of wages so how do they figure there will be money to give them?

I think this site is a great idea but the owner does not seem to care and focuses on the original site Malecare.

You might have more success on that site.

Stay safe and do something fun today.