How do you date?

• How do you date?

Posted by Unknown Member on January 31, 2019 at 11:51 pm

I have tried to date several people. Every time I tell them I have cancer the door is shut and they are gone. I’m honest with people, I dont want them to feel I’ve hidden anything from them so I’m upfront with my news if I think it could be something. Honesty doesn’t always pay off. Even when I was healthy I never turned away from a relationship with someone sick. My ex wife had MS but that didn’t stop me from loving her. Btw she divorced me and the kids.

Unknown Member replied 11 months, 2 weeks ago 11 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Rosa

February 23, 2019 at 9:30 pm

I am sorry to hear that John, I went through it, I was in a 7 year relationship until he found out I had breast cancer. It’s sad that people are so heartless. I haven’t even attempted to date. too scared I guess.

• Dee

April 10, 2019 at 10:27 pm

To the anonymous gentleman above, good for you for your honesty, if she can’t handle a past illness what would she do if you were going through it right now? The right person will come along.

• Unknown Member

October 9, 2021 at 10:00 am

Hi how are you doing today friend?

• Rose

March 6, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Its a rough road, but you just have to get back out there.

I was 5 months pregnant with my second son when I was diagnosed, and my partner decided he could no longer embark on the life journey with me. I came out of surgery and he was no where to be found.

I think its good to be upfront, maybe not immediately but sooner better than later. Honesty definitely pays off, don’t think otherwise. Honesty saved you from a person unworthy of your heart.

• Unknown Member

April 24, 2019 at 12:32 am

That’s why I’m scared to date the big I cancer talk and get rejected hurts

• Unknown Member

August 8, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Me too. Good luck anonymous x

• Unknown Member

August 23, 2019 at 10:34 pm

I’m not quite 2-years post treatment. I went through a relationship breakup between diagnosis and now. I’m unsure how to move forward on the dating front. But, we weren’t prepared for a cancer diagnosis either. So, I’m headlong into the wind. I have to believe that we’re all the same, just a little bit different. This site might be cancer oriented, but another humans not afflicted by cancer may be on blood thinners, insulin, anti-siezure Rx, antidepressants, or being treated for ED, etc. We’re all dealing with something. So, I simply put myself out there. So far, I’ve had dates with two different men that didn’t judge based my being in remission. I may be lucky. But – Here’s to H O P E !!

• Unknown Member

August 28, 2019 at 2:53 pm

I really dont know how I’m going to end up feeling about this. I definitely think it’s better to be honest and upfront. For yourself as much as the other person, better to find out now that the cancer is an issue for the other person than later. It does surprise me that it would be that much of an issue though and I find it particularly heartbreaking to hear about relationships ending during cancer treatment. Dealing with illness is part of our shared humanity, we will all get sick eventually so why run from it? Why not stick together??
    I haven’t dated in quite a while. A 13 year relationship had just ended before I was diagnosed and I’m sure trying to again is going to be awkward to some degree no matter what. I want to think if I put myself out there something will happen though so I’m just going to try to be open and not worry about bumps in the road..

• Kathy

October 17, 2021 at 12:22 pm

Hi! So how is it going now? Find anyone – I’ve dealt with the same issue as you. You feel that you are all alone out there – but you are not – but it does suck….Hoping the best for you!

Kath

• Unknown Member

June 4, 2023 at 6:26 pm

Looks like I’m in the same boat as everyone else. I have been trying to date and find someone I can send my life with. Every time it comes to talking about my history they all run. Does anyone know of any sites or apps that are for C-survivors? There has to be something somewhere?